Mining and Exploration in NT
The mining industry in the Northern Territory in 2018-2019 contributed $3.0 Billion of value to the Gross State Product. This is the second largest contribution to the Territory’s GSP, following ‘public administration and safety’. However, despite its relative size, the mining industry in the Northern Territory is still remarkably small when compared with other comparable States, and against the scale of prospectivity and opportunity that exists there. Currently, there are only 9 operating mines in the Territory.
With careful stewardship, the contribution of the mining and the mineral exploration sector could grow. The Territory has some of Australia’s largest deposits of uranium, zinc-lead, bauxite, gold, phosphate and manganese. There are also significant deposits of copper, rare earths, vanadium, lithium, tungsten, salt, mineral sands and potash.
The rocks are in the ground, and with the right regulatory settings, mining could transform the Northern Territory economy. A strong commitment to greenfield mineral exploration in the long term is the key to the Territory making the discoveries needed to build the mines of the future.
AMEC has an Advisory Committee in the NT, which supports the framing and delivery of AMEC’s policy approach in the NT. The committee is formed around a core group of members with an investment in mineral exploration and mining in the relevant jurisdiction. AMEC relies on the views and opinions of this group to shape its policy responses to Territory Government and Ministers. The Advisory Committee meets regularly to discuss furthering policy reform and respond to issues affecting the sector.
We have a number of regular NT events held throughout the year including our annual dinner, sundowners, and seminars. To find out what AMEC events are happening in NT, head to our events page.
AMEC’s work in Northern Territory
Latest AMEC Northern Territory submissions and reports
- Submission to NT Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade re Draft Mining Project Mining Management Plan
- Submission to Northern Territory Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security re Water Regulatory Reform
- Submission to NT Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security re Environmental Chain of Responsibility Reforms
- Submission to Minister for Environment Hon, Eva Lawler MLA re Draft Declaration to Prohibit Seabed Mining
- Submission to Minister for Mining and Industry Hon, Nicole Manison, MLA re Mining Remediation Fund