Mining and Exploration in WA
Western Australia is one of the world’s pre-eminent mining jurisdictions, with a storied mining and exploration history, beginning with the Kalgoorlie gold rush in the 1890’s. Today, WA is one the world’s largest exporters of raw materials, including iron ore, gold, lithium, nickel, copper, lead, zinc, alumina, coal, diamonds, salt and mineral sands.
The mining and exploration industry make a critical contribution to the State’s economy employing more than 125,000 people, providing around 20% of the State’s revenue through royalty payments annually, and over $1 billion a year being invested in mineral exploration.
AMEC does not have a Western Australian Advisory Committee, as the Association already supports a wide range of Standing Committees and Working Groups that support and address the issues of Western Australian focused member companies. These committees also deal with a wide range of national issues affecting the sector and AMEC’s broader membership.
WA Working Groups
AMEC forms working groups to progress a policy response for a commodity on a state specific issue. These groups ensure that our policies and advocacy initiatives represent the industry’s views. Our working groups in WA are:
- Environment and Water
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Mining Legislation
- Corporate Regulation and Tax
- Minerals in Brine
- Critical Minerals
- Wheatbelt Forum
- Lithium Industries
We have a number of regular WA events held throughout the year including sundowners, information briefings and seminars. To find out what AMEC events are happening in WA, head to our events page.
AMEC’s work in WA
Latest AMEC WA submissions and reports
- Submission to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation re Draft Guideline – Native Vegetation Referrals
- Submission to RevenueWA re Revenue Ruling DA 25.0 Substantially One Arrangement
- AMEC welcomes major investment in State’s approvals system
- Submission to DWER re Derby Water Allocation Plan
- Submission to DMIRS re Streamlining (Mining Amendment) Bill 2021
- Submission to EPA WA re reforms to Environmental Impact Assessment Procedures
- Submission to DMIRS re Work Health and Safety (Mines) Regulations
- Submission to DMIRS Safety Division re Priority Codes of Practice
- Submission to WA Planning Commission re Draft Port Hedland West End Improvement Scheme Policy No.1 Consultation
- Submission to DMIRS re Draft Mine Closure Completion Guidelines